Are you selling your home right now? Or in urgent need to sell ASAP? Selling your home during the festive season can easily go for and against you. And before you do, you really need to be sure about why you need to sell now. If it’s not so urgent, take the time off and focus on time for yourself and family over Christmas and New Years!
I feel that this topic will split real estate workers into ‘go for it!’ and ‘excuse me?’.
Here are some reasons why you SHOULDN’T sell during the period.
- It’s naturally a quieter season in the year. People are on vacation and in holiday mode – not thinking about numbers and transactions.
- Time, inconvenience and complicated logistics. Asking anybody for their time over Christmas will be a challenge. For example, you need to ask your tenants to clear out the space but they’re busy with their Christmas party. YOU may not have the time to keep your home tidy and buyer ready.
- Is your real estate agent available? Not just on the surface, but truly dedicated to helping you seal the deal.
- You look desperate to sell because you’re taking time out of the holidays. Buyers who are inexperienced may jump to this conclusion and start to bargain with you.
- You may receive offers at prices much lower than you expect and hoped for.
- Closing the transaction is rare in December as most buyers are usually more inclined to do so in January.
- Listings in January are deemed more fresh and exciting.
If you’re still standing and adamant about selling this holiday, let’s go through the advantages!
- Less competition. During this low season, obviously, there’ll be less listings which helps your property stand out. With the right real estate, you could make a successful sale at a higher profit.
- Holiday areas will bring in more people and attention. You may be selling to a wider variety of buyers that are visiting your neighbourhood. This helps push the sale as they’ll have a limited time to view.
- Buyers actively searching are more eager to close a deal. You’ll receive more serious inquiries so if you receive them, get onto it!
- People like to start fresh in the New Year so many will be looking to relocate in time for January. Beat the January rush and reach these buyers first!
As it’s a challenging time, it’s crucial to find a real estate agent that understands your urgency. During this time, your agent should be heavily involved as there needs to be an active search of keen buyers whilst protecting your selling price.
One important tip I need to stress when selling during the holidays is: leave the Christmas and New Years decorations behind. You should be aiding your buyer imagine themselves living in your home as their own! For more detailed tips on readying your home, read my recent blog: In the Buyer’s Shoes.
For more insights in selling your home, let’s catch up!